Monday, November 26, 2007

Finding Food

Yesterday we were walking to Ackerman in search of food. When we approached the locked-up Bruin bear, a woman was walking by with her husband and daughter, who appeared to be about 2 years old. The girl was crying and repeatedly bawling "Bruin bear! I want to see the Bruin bear!" Her mother attempted consolation: "The bear is sleeping. I promise he will be here next time." Which allows us to conclude: USC loves making children cry. What shameless schadenfreude.

Even though it was 1 PM and everybody was returning from their Thanksgiving breaks (presumably much more satisfying than mine), Sbarro was the only place open in Ackerman. So we got in line behind an old man who ordered a slice of mushroom pizza and sat down at one of the tables with a notebook. I didn't think much of it until I was passing by him to get some water and glanced over his shoulder. He was doing calculus - one of those Ph.D.-in-math kind of guys who spends his time thinking "Let's see if I can become famous this way." In other words, what I want to be when I grow up.

Actually, that's a lie - research in mathematics bores me to death. But that doesn't make sitting down alone in Ackerman with some mushroom pizza while doing calculus any less hardcore.

Other unrelated observations:
  • The Ackerman hobo has changed her hair color. It is now bright red.
  • Only athletes have the nerve to take the elevator to the second floor. How does that make any sense?
  • The hallway of Hedrick Summit 7 SMELLS SO BADLY.

No comments: