Sunday, February 22, 2009

Zut

At some point last week my very French math professor said "Zut!" which basically means "Damn it!"

Last Monday I got a jury summons. Luckily I got plenty of reassurance from my sisters and friends that you can definitely get out of it by proclaiming you are a full time student. So I logged onto Orange County's fancy eJuror site to see if I could escape - and by "fancy" I mean horrendously flawed. To make a long story short I hit a misleading button that effectively confirmed that I would serve on April 3. So I had to send a "whoops!" email to them and explain the situation and now I am basically guaranteed to have to serve sometime this summer. Zut!

The top three other things currently wracking my nerves:
  1. The second Math 115A midterm, which is tomorrow night. I honestly considered studying this time only to discover again that I don't know how.
  2. All of the classes I want to enroll in filling up before I even get my first pass. All of them.
  3. An "experiment" for Psych 15 tomorrow morning which involves a "head brace" - sounds a little sketchy to me. But really the only problem is I have to find some obscure computer labs in the oh-so-ugly Franz hall.
My other classes just seem pitifully easy and unworthy of attention in comparison to Math 115A. Physics in particular - calculating things! Ha! I just can't take it seriously anymore. Remember in high school when we read All Quiet on the Western Front and talked about desensitization of soliders returning from the war? It's kind of like that. Not to diminish their struggle or anything, but this metaphor has been developing in my head for a while now. A great example: On Friday we had a review session, but our TA failed to reserve a classroom (I don't think she actually tried). The net result was about 20 of us huddled in a tiny office barely large enough to accomodate 5, for at least twice as long as the session was intended to last. And that office was deep in the bowels of Math Sciences, where the air is literally thinner. It was our trench.

The professor of the 2nd half of Psych 15 is frightening - he stands completely still, statue-like, yet he has a tremor in his right arm. And I love him for the irony. But he talks so quietly that I spend most of each class asleep, which is lamentable because he seems pretty interesting.

Stars: 18
Do dats: 45
Lies to Calpirg people: 3

No comments: