Monday, December 17, 2007

Relatively Eventful Irvine Day no. 1

Returning to bass trombone after months of playing a wimpy F-attachment tenor is a euphoria as close to heaven as one can achieve here. Effortless low Ds and Cs, pedal tones that actually sound like something. I had the chance to experience this today for about 30 seconds and it could not have happened at a better time. Today's visit to NHS met moderate success; I would like to have watched Philharmonic rehearse a bit (I suppose the concert on Thursday will suffice), and we forgot to show Mamer the photos with us and Dennis Kucinich's wife. But these setbacks did not prevent all enjoyment - it was a nice kind of nostalgia today, a welcome escape from the bitter and unsympathetic variety that trips to Irvine often instill within me.

The usual trips to the reject racks of Ralph's and Albertson's followed, but sadly there were no amazing bargains to be exploited today.

Breakfast was Mimi's Café, where a waitress angrily spat, "Who got the Belgian waffles?!" I of course took several seconds to respond to this, confused because while I had indeed ordered Belgian waffles, I expected them to be served sans attitude.

No comments: